We are committed to building and fostering secondary English teachers who come to their work with purpose, commitment, and intention. As such, our programs are steeped as much in exploring what we teach as how we approach that work, all in service of the readers and writers alongside whom we learn each day. Courses and experiences will open exploration of:
- Curriculum as it is imagined, received, and assessed.
- The wide range of teaching contexts and communities in which we do this work.
- The diversity of literacies, texts, and learners we both engage and excite.
- Identities and practices of reflective, ethical, agentive, and socially just secondary English teachers, researchers, and scholars.
Bachelor of Science in Education (BSEd)
- BSEd in English Education
This program prepares you to teach secondary-school English with classes in literature, composition, and language as well as student-teaching experience.
- AB/BSEd in English/English Education
Pursue your academic interests and your passion for educating others with a dual degree from the UGA College of Education and Department of English.
Master of Education (MEd)
- MEd in English Education
The MEd in English Education is designed for credentialed secondary school teachers who wish to advance their teaching of English, or the study of literature and other texts, instruction in composition, and language study.
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- MAT in English Education
Designed to prepare teacher candidates who have already earned a BA or BS for a certified secondary school teaching position in English, or the study of literature and other texts, instruction in composition, and language study.
Educational Specialist (EdS)
- EdS in Education (English Education)
Further your language and literacy expertise in this flexible program that allows you to pursue your topics of interest in the format that works best for you.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- PhD in Language and Literacy Education (English Education)
Pursue a career as an educator with our Ph.D. in Language and Literacy Education and experience opportunities to conduct research, publish, and engage in other activities integral to higher education.