Our faculty pursue a variety of research interests, which they share within our students’ coursework. Their work includes:
- Children’s mathematical thinking
- Discourse and discourse analysis
- Integers / negative numbers
- Cognitively guided instruction
- Argumentation in secondary mathematics classrooms
- Collective argumentation
- Beliefs in teaching practices
As a result, our students graduate with experience in essential and emerging fields of mathematics education.
Another unique aspect of our programs is the amount of time our students spend in classrooms working with students. Starting with one-on-one experiences, our students move through the program building on their abilities and students’ ideas, culminating with teaching and managing multiple classrooms during a student-teaching experience.
Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degrees
- BS in Applied Mathematics / MAT in Mathematics Education
Specialize in applied mathematics with an undergraduate degree, and then add to your skills with a master of arts in teaching.
- BS in General Mathematics / MAT in Mathematics Education
Specialize in mathematics with an undergraduate degree, and then add to your skills with a master of arts in teaching.
- BSED in Mathematics Education / MEd in Mathematics Education
Through this program of study, you will enhance your knowledge of the mathematics field and upgrade your existing teaching certification with the MEd in Mathematics Education for grades 6-12.
Bachelor of Science in Education (BSEd)
- BSEd in Mathematics Education
Our program combines small class sizes, an award-winning faculty, and extensive field experience to earn your certification to teach secondary-school math.
- BS/BSEd in Mathematics/Mathematics Education
Pursue your interest in mathematics and your passion for educating others with a dual degree from UGA's College of Education and Department of Mathematics.
Master of Education (MEd)
- MEd in Mathematics Education (Grades 6-12)
Enhance your knowledge of the mathematics field and upgrade your existing teaching certification with the MEd in Mathematics Education for grades 6-12.
- MEd in Mathematics Education (PreK-8, Griffin Campus)
Advance your skills with the MEd in Mathematics Education (PreK-8). Earn professional endorsements and become a leader within your school, district, or state.
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
- MAT in Mathematics Education
The Master of Arts in Teaching degree program leads to certification as a secondary school mathematics teacher (grades 6-12) and is intended for individuals holding a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field with a strong mathematics background.
Master of Arts (MA)
- MA in Education (Mathematics Education)
Further your explorations in mathematics and teaching concepts in our research-based, doctoral-prep program.
Educational Specialist (EdS)
- EdS in Mathematics Education (Grades 6-12)
The specialist in education degree program is designed for experienced secondary school mathematics teachers who hold a master's degree and T-5 certification in secondary school mathematics teaching and wish to further their study of mathematics education.
- EdS in Mathematics Education (PreK-8, Griffin Campus)
Lead in mathematics education and earn an endorsement for teaching math in grades K-8 with our online and in-person educational specialist program.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- PhD in Mathematics Education
This degree is designed for those with a strong background in both mathematics and mathematics education who wish to be leading researchers in mathematics education.
- Graduate Certificate in Mathematics Education
Head toward your Ph.D. by studying connections between diverse disciplines of mathematics with the Certificate in Mathematics Education.
- Certification in Mathematics Education
Earn your math teaching certificate in about a year through this non-degree program aimed at students with a background in math but not education.
- Coaching Endorsement (Griffin Campus)
An individual with the Coaching Endorsement has strengthened and enhanced competency levels to use performance assessment data to provide specific feedback to individuals that will assist them in meeting criteria for performance in various educational positions.
- K-5 Mathematics Endorsement (Griffin Campus)
Earn an endorsement in K-5 mathematics and learn the latest developments in curriculum and assessment through our program designed for full-time teachers.
Mathematics Education Student Association (MESA)
This organization provides a forum for the exchange and distribution of information and ideas pertaining to mathematics education.
Faculty advisor: Kevin C. Moore