For the BSEd in Mathematics Education
To begin the program in the fall semester, a completed application must be submitted by February 16th. To begin the program in the spring semester, a completed application must be submitted by September 22nd. Admission to the undergraduate Mathematics Education degree program requires the following minimum qualifications:
- An overall GPA of at least 2.75
- Successful completion of MATH 2250 (Calculus I), MATH 2260 (Calculus II), and MATH 3200 (Introduction to Higher Mathematics), each with a grade of C or better (a grade of C– is not sufficient)
- Passing scores on the GACE Basic Skills Assessment or exemption
- Completion of at least 30 clock hours of tutoring pre-college students in a structured setting in the mathematics of grades 6-12 with required documentation
- An essay reflecting on your tutoring experience
- An evaluation by a supervisor or coordinator
Students may apply to the program with the requirements above still in progress. However, no student will be admitted until all requirements are completed and appropriate documentation has been received.
Upon meeting these requirements, students will then be ranked using the following formula:
All students meeting these requirements will then be ranked using the following formula: Grade in MATH 2250 + Grade in MATH 2260 + Grade in MATH 3200 + Overall grade point average
A minimum of 9.75 points is required to be considered for admission. Students who have at least 9.75 points will then be rank ordered, and the 25 students having the highest point totals will be admitted to the program each semester.
In the event of a tie, we will admit 26 students. A student who has been admitted for a given semester and is unable to enroll due to an emergency will automatically be allowed into the next cohort s/he is able to join. Students can reapply as many times as they wish.