EdS in Education (TESOL or World Language Education)
The Education Specialist Degree in Education (concentration in TESOL or World Language Education) is a post-master’s degree program that equips you to be a leader in the field of TESOL or TFL, such as in Spanish, French, Mandarin, German, Italian, Russian. The degree is tailored to meet the evolving challenges for educators in response to the rapid changes in technology, migration, and other local and global developments. Our faculty is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in education with strong ties to local public school districts, community organizations, and various on-campus units. Graduates of the Ed.S. program from UGA are often given professional and leadership responsibilities, and have served as school-based literacy coaches, department heads, Title III program coordinators, parent-school liaisons, professional development facilitators, and curriculum writers throughout the state of Georgia and beyond. At the end of your Ed.S program, you will be eligible to have T6 rank in the Georgia public school system.
A Flexible Program for Professionals
Advisors work with student needs and availability to complete this ten-course (i.e., 30-hour) advanced degree in a way that is nourishing and complimentary to busy working lives. Courses are offered consistently on campus, online (i.e., asynchronous, synchronous, and hyflex), and year-round.
Ed.S. and Georgia Teaching Certificate Combination Option
If you have a master’s degree in ESL, TESOL, Applied Linguistics, World Languages or TFL or in a similar content area with teaching experience but are not yet certified, you can complete a one-year teaching certification program in TWLE , and then complete the Ed.S. degree in one year.
- For working teachers who already hold a master’s degree
- Earn certificate upgrade in one of six areas when your studies align with initial certification
- Range of course formats, including online, weekends, and nights
Ed.S coursework includes:
- 24 hours from a list of approved courses on the topics below
- 6 research-based hours, whether conducting research or learning about research methods.
Choose TWLE courses that suit your interests in the areas of:
- Second-language acquisition
- Language assessment and testing
- Bilingual and world language education
- Heritage language education
- Less commonly taught languages
- Spanish children’s literature
- Multilingual poetry and memoir
- Youth Participatory Action Research
- Multicultural education
- Computer assisted language learning
- Language policy and discourse analysis
- Bilingual cognition
How to Apply
Part 1: Apply to the University of Georgia
The Graduate School handles admission for all graduate programs at the University of Georgia, including those in the College of Education. The Graduate School website contains important details about the application process, orientation, and many other useful links to guide you through the process of attending UGA at the graduate level.
Start a Graduate School Application
Part 2: Apply to the EdS in Language and Literacy Education (TESOL or World Language Education)
While completing your Graduate School application, please include the following documents:
- Current resume/CV
- TOEFL/IELTS for international applicants
- Statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended
- 3 letters of recommendation
Please indicate in your statement of purpose which area of emphasis below you intend to pursue for the Ed.S. program (i.e., English Education, LCL, or World Language Education or TESOL).
In addition to the Graduate School application, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You must hold a master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the area of TESOL and/or World Language Education
- 3.0 minimum GPA (across last 60 credit hours of study)
- At least one year teaching experience in multilingual or world language classroom
- Sample writing that scores 4/5 using program rubric
For international residents, you must take the TOEFL or the IELTS. We require the following scores:
- TOEFL: at least a score of 100 with a minimum score of 25 in speaking and a 25 in writing
- IELTS: at least a score of 7 with a minimum score of 6.5 in speaking and a 6.5 in writing
For international residents, you must also demonstrate proficiency with two languages as evidenced by:
- A bachelor’s degree in English linguistics and literature
- A master’s degree where English was the medium of instruction
- We recommend an undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 or higher
- We recommend at least two years teaching experience
UGA Financial Assistance Mary Frances Early College of Education Financial Assistance
Deadline to Apply
- October 15 (spring, international)
- November 15 (spring, domestic)
- February 15 (summer, international)
- April 1 (summer, domestic)
- April 1 (fall)
Log into existing application
Please use our online form if you have any questions for the department. Please be as specific as possible so that we may quickly assist you.
The College’s programs are taught by dedicated faculty who are experts in a range of areas and are passionate about helping students succeed both in their programs and professionally.
Most graduate students at UGA are not assigned to a faculty advisor until after admittance. A close working relationship with your advisor is paramount to progressing through your program of study.
Almost all in-state students begin their studies at UGA paying limited tuition or fees. Please note that these amounts are subject to change and are meant to give prospective students an idea of the costs associated with a degree at the University of Georgia College of Education.
Students may qualify for a variety of assistantships, scholarships, and other financial awards to help offset the cost of tuition, housing, and other expenses.
Our students have a range of opportunities available outside the classroom as well, from professional organizations, experiential learning, clubs and other non-academic experiences.
See for yourself how much UGA College of Education has to offer! Schedule a tour of campus to learn more about the UGA student experience.