MAT in Workforce Education (Healthcare Science Education)
The MAT in Workforce Education program is designed for students who wish to earn initial certification in a career and technical education (CTE) instructional field at an advanced level (T-5).
The Healthcare Science Education area of emphasis is for those who may have a professional background in fields such as Clinical Healthcare Services, Veterinary Sciences, Athletic Training, or Healthcare Support Services.
Our program combines your professional specialization and expertise with promising teaching practices, leading to competency in:
- Managing career and technical education programs in Georgia P-12 schools
- Designing and developing both content and skill-based instruction
- Utilizing workable research strategies in your own classroom and school
- Cultivating students’ work ethic, communication skills, and capacity for innovation
- Leads to initial teacher certification in Healthcare Science Education (6-12)
- One of the top workforce education programs in the country
- Flagship workforce development program in Georgia
- Produces leaders in industry knowledge as well as current international trends
- Prepares graduates to proactively identify workforce trends
Our faculty have developed a research-based model that focuses on career development, work ethic, and innovation to strategically prepare a global workforce who can successfully navigate work, even in jobs that do not exist at the time education and training take place.
The MAT in Workforce Education requires a minimum of 48 credit hours of coursework, divided into four categories:
- Core professional education (24 hours)
- Education research (3 hours)
- Teaching internship (12 hours)
- Certification area of emphasis (9+ hours, depending on academic background)
Teacher candidates must (1) apply for a GaPSC Pre-Service Certificate prior to beginning field experience and (2) complete several assessments prior to certification.
Download a Sample Curriculum
Read FAQs About the Workforce Education Programs
How to Apply
Part 1: Apply to the University of Georgia
The Graduate School handles admission for all graduate programs at the University of Georgia, including those in the College of Education. The Graduate School website contains important details about the application process, orientation, and many other useful links to guide you through the process of attending UGA at the graduate level.
Start A Graduate School Application
Part 2: Apply to the MAT in Workforce Education (Healthcare Science Education)
To qualify for admission, students must have earned an undergraduate degree from a fully accredited college or university. A minimum of a 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate degree is preferred.
In the Graduate School application, students must submit:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
Deadline To Apply
- July 1 (Fall)
- November 15 (Spring)
- May 1 (Summer)
Log Into Existing Application
Student Outcome Data2022-2023 Program Assessment
Please use our online form if you have any questions for the department. Please be as specific as possible so that we may quickly assist you.
The College’s programs are taught by dedicated faculty who are experts in a range of areas and are passionate about helping students succeed both in their programs and professionally.
Most graduate students at UGA are not assigned to a faculty advisor until after admittance. A close working relationship with your advisor is paramount to progressing through your program of study.
Almost all in-state students begin their studies at UGA paying limited tuition or fees. Please note that these amounts are subject to change and are meant to give prospective students an idea of the costs associated with a degree at the University of Georgia College of Education.
Students may qualify for a variety of assistantships, scholarships, and other financial awards to help offset the cost of tuition, housing, and other expenses.
Our students have a range of opportunities available outside the classroom as well, from professional organizations, experiential learning, clubs and other non-academic experiences.
See for yourself how much UGA College of Education has to offer! Schedule a tour of campus to learn more about the UGA student experience.