For the MAT in Special Education
Students who meet all of the following requirements are eligible to apply:
- Professional preparation: Earned, or will have earned, a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution before the date of enrollment at the University of Georgia.
- GRE or Miller Analogies Test scores: Minimum GRE results of 146 verbal and 146 quantitative; alternatively, applicants may choose to take the Miller Analogies Test. We require a minimum score of 402 for the Miller Analogies Test.
- GPA: Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.7 for all courses taken.
- TOEFL: Foreign applicants will also need to score a minimum of 20 points each on the Speaking and Writing sections of the TOEFL with an overall minimum score of 80. Test scores must be within 5 years from the date of application.
In the Graduate School application, students should upload the following items:
- Statement of purpose: Please submit a two page, single-spaced statement of purpose, outlining your teaching philosophy, experience and career goals, as well as answering the following questions:
* What types of disabilities do you have experience with and envision yourself working with?
* In what setting would you like to work (e.g., school, clinic, home-based)?
* What is your primary age/grade of interest?
The state of Georgia also now requires that all teacher prep candidates either pass the GACE Program Admission Assessment or exempt it (1000 Verbal + Math SAT, 43 English + Math ACT, or 297 Verbal + Quantitative GRE) before they can be accepted into programs. The state also requires that all candidates have a minimum 2.5 GPA on undergraduate or previous graduate work. Go to GAPSC website for details.
Applicants will be admitted based on the faculty's evaluation of undergraduate GPA, GRE/MAT (and TOEFL where relevant) scores, quality of essay, letters of recommendations, and resume.