For the MAT in TESOL
Applicants are required to submit either the GRE or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT), (and TOEFL/IELTS for international applicants). While completing your Graduate School application, please include the following documents:
- Current resume/CV
- GRE or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- Statement of Purpose
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
Applicants outside the United States should allow 8-13 weeks for all materials (test scores and transcripts can be slow to arrive) to be received. Applicants inside the United States should allow 6-8 weeks.
Applicants for the MAT in TESOL whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English. Proficiency will be demonstrated through one of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in English linguistics and literature
- Master's degree in a college where English was the medium of instruction
- TOEFL score of at least 80 (at least 20 on writing and speaking)
- IELTS score of 7 (with speaking and writing of at least 6.5)
Other Entrance Requirements
- 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (GPA)
- Most of our successful applications reach at least 150 on their GRE verbal test
GACE Program Admission Assessment
Who needs to take the GACE Program Admission Assessment?
All candidates seeking admission to an initial educator preparation program must take or exempt the GACE Program Admission Assessment and be admitted to UGA.
Candidates can exempt with one of the following:
- Combined minimum SAT score of 1000 (Verbal and Math scores)
- Combined minimum ACT score of 43 (English and Math scores)
- Combined GRE Verbal and Quantitative minimum score:
- Prior to Fall 2011 = 1030
- Fall 2011 and beyond = 297
If you exempt the GACE, check Athena to see if you test scores are listed under "View Test Scores". If your scores are listed, Kate Character will print your scores, and you do not need to do anything further.
UGA Financial Assistance