MEd in Educational Administration and Policy
Today’s school systems require leadership abilities, change-management skills, and deep organizational experience – whether you seek to transform the education sector to promote inclusivity or to launch an innovative education venture. Through our Master’s in Educational Administration and Policy Program, you will attain the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to lead boldly with impact in diverse roles, including PreK-12 schools, districts, the nonprofit sector, and government.
The University of Georgia recognizes the need for more courageous and transformative leadership. Therefore, we offer two tracks, school leadership or law and policy, both designed to support your current work and future aspirations.
- School Leadership
- Tier I leadership certification courses in Educational Administration and Policy at the University of Georgia prepare students for initial leadership certification and place a strong emphasis on knowledge of effective instructional leadership practices that directly impact teaching and learning. The knowledge, skills, and dispositions that serve as the framework for the Tier I Program are based on the Georgia Educational Leadership Standards. The Georgia Educational Leadership Standards are closely aligned with the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) and the Georgia Leader Keys Effectiveness System (LKES) Standards. The Georgia Educational Leadership Standards can be found in the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) document, Guidelines for EPPs: Georgia Performance-Based Educational Leadership Programs.
- Tier I Certification-Only
- Our Tier I Certification-Only program is designed for individuals who possess a master’s degree but seek Tier I certification only. While there is an established set of courses students are expected to complete, an individualized program of studies can be offered based on students’ transcripts. Again, this program leads toward an initial leadership certification.
- Law and Policy
- Our law and policy track prepares individuals with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that serve as the framework to work effectively in educational policy positions in government, nonprofits, or academia. More specifically, individuals learn how to design, implement, and evaluate policies at various levels.
Individuals who complete our program receive an education from one of the nation’s top educational leadership graduate programs and one of the largest colleges of education. Our students are afforded the opportunity to work side-by-side with communities of scholars whose work is nationally and internationally recognized. Leveraging the expertise of our faculty, graduates of the program are equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills, and dispositions to lead for change.
The M.Ed. in Educational Administration and Policy includes studies in:
- Law, policy, and administration
- Data management and use
- Leadership in a diverse society
Our two-year, part-time program culminates in the presentation of a problem of practice related to educational administration and policy that holds specific interest for a student. This project gives an individual the opportunity to explore their unique interests, to integrate all of their coursework into a plan for their career, and to create a professional portfolio.
In sum, the M.Ed. in Educational Administration and Policy allows an individual to tailor their studies to academic and professional areas of focus. Within the 36-semester hour program, individuals will complete:
- 12 hours of major concentration and core courses
- 3 hours of research courses
- 3 hours in an applied project
- 18 hours of electives
Courses are designed to examine topics such as:
- Research in educational administration and policy
- Applied projects in educational administration and policy
- Educational policy analysis
- Organizational theory and leadership
- Human resource administration
- School business and resource management
- School law
How to Apply
Part 1: Apply to the University of Georgia
The Graduate School handles admission for all graduate programs at the University of Georgia, including those in the College of Education. The Graduate School website contains important details about the application process, orientation, and many other useful links to guide you through the process of attending UGA at the graduate level.
Start A Graduate School Application
Part 2: Apply to the MEd in Educational Administration and Policy
Applications are accepted each semester. Applicants must submit valid (within the past 5 years) GRE or MAT scores with their Graduate School application. (The GRE is waived for Fall 2022 applications.)
Also while completing the Graduate School application, be sure to attach the following documents:
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts
Deadline to Apply
- July 1 (fall)
- November 15 (spring)
- April 1 (summer)
Login to existing application
Please use our online form if you have any questions for the department. Please be as specific as possible so that we may quickly assist you.
The College’s programs are taught by dedicated faculty who are experts in a range of areas and are passionate about helping students succeed both in their programs and professionally.
A close working relationship with your advisor is key as you progress through your program of study. Please note that most graduate students at UGA are not assigned to a faculty advisor until after admittance.
Almost all in-state students begin their studies at UGA paying limited tuition or fees. Please note that these amounts are subject to change and are meant to give prospective students an idea of the costs associated with a degree at the University of Georgia College of Education.
Students may qualify for a variety of assistantships, scholarships, and other financial awards to help offset the cost of tuition, housing, and other expenses.
Our students have a range of opportunities available outside the classroom as well, from professional organizations, experiential learning, clubs and other non-academic experiences.
See for yourself how much UGA College of Education has to offer! Schedule a tour of campus to learn more about the UGA student experience.