Personal Health and Well-Being Minor
Housed in the Department of Educational Psychology and the Department of Kinesiology, the personal health and well-being minor supports students’ exploration, understanding, and development of practices and habits that support personal health and well-being. Students will learn about the scientific foundations of personal health and well-being and articulate these principles as they reflect on their experience implementing evidence-based practices designed to develop skills, habits, and practices to support personal health and well-being.
Situated in the field of positive psychology, well-being extends beyond happiness and encompasses the elements of positive emotion, engagement, relationships, meaning, and achievement. Healthy lifestyle habits are integral to well-being. The personal health and well-being minor is a natural complement for students interested in education, positive youth development, human services (such as social work, psychology, sociology, health promotion and behavior, human development and family sciences), and various therapeutic and professional careers.
Required Courses: 9 hours
- KINS 2500-2500L: Exercise is Medicine (3 hours)
- EPSY 3500: Psychology of Habit (3 hours)
- EPSY 3600-3600L: Science and Practice of Health and Well-Being (3 hours)
It is strongly recommended that this course be taken after KINS 2500-2500L and EPSY 3500.
Elective Course: 6 hours
Three hours must be upper division coursework.
- FDNS 2100: Human Nutrition and Food or FDNS 3100: Macronutrients and Energy Balance or IDIS(FDNS) 4200/6200: We Are What We Eat! How Your Gut Influences Your Overall Health
- SOCI(AFAM) 4600: Health Among Black Americans or ANTH 3540: Multicultural Health Care or HPRB 3150: Issues in Women’s Health
- ECHD 4020/6020: Interpersonal Relationships or COMM 2600: Communicating and Relationships
- DANC 2030: The Pilates Method I or DANC 2040/2040E: Yoga: Asana Practice I
- FHCE 3200: Introduction to Personal Finance or FHCE 3110: Money Skills for Life
- ECHD 4380/6380/4380E/6380E: Human Development and Mental Health or HPRB 3100: Introduction to Behavioral Medicine or PSYC 3810: Psychology of Health
- SOCI 3710: Science of Happiness
- DANC 2010/2010E: Dance Appreciation or MUSI 2020/2020E: Introduction to Music or ARTS 2000/2000E: Art Appreciation or ARED 4010/6010: Art Criticism and Aesthetic Understanding