Skip to page content

A service-learning experience is a chance for you to become engaged in the community and work with children and youth in a variety of capacities. You may serve as a volunteer, tutor, or mentor in community settings or after-school programs.

When you enroll in a course with a service-learning component, you will work with your instructor to select an appropriate site. Service-learning experiences DO NOT take place in schools during regular school hours. Note that you may be required to complete a criminal background check at your volunteer facility.

Local Service Learning Venues

Need service learning for your course this semester? Check out our list of local Service Learning opportunities.

How To Apply for a Service-Learning Experience

  1. Have the course prefix and number at hand (Example: EDUC 1234).
  2. Print, complete, and scan into a PDF the Professional Tort Liability Insurance form below. You will be expected to upload these into the application.
  3. Complete the online submission form. Note the entire online application must be completed in one sitting.

Apply for service-learning


  • Tort Liability Insurance
    Submit this form only one time if insurance is waived. You must resubmit the form if tort liability insurance is purchased and has been renewed since your last submission. This form is not required by athletic training majors, who are covered under a group policy through the academic program. This form is only required for students in the College of Education. Non-COE students do not need to complete this form.

Note: For COE students, we highly recommend you purchase tort liability insurance. It can be purchased for a minimal cost through student membership in professional organizations such as GAE or PAGE.

Connect with the Office of Experiential Learning

We are happy to answer your questions about experiential learning opportunities in the College of Education.

Office of Experiential Learning