All students must have successfully completed (grade B- or higher) an introductory reading instruction and assessment course prior to applying to or beginning this program. Acceptable pre-requisite courses include:
- LLED 3425 Reading Instruction and Assessment, PreK-5
- LLED 3420 Reading Instruction in the Elementary School
- LLED 3430 Reading Assessment in the Elementary School
- LLED 3520 Teaching Reading in the Middle School
- LLED 3530 Content Area Literacies Content Area Literacies for Middle School
- LLED 4010 The Teaching of Reading
- LLED 6010 Survey of Reading Instruction PreK through Grade 12
- LLED 6030 Teaching Reading in the Secondary School
- LLED 6070 Middle School Reading
- An equivalent course from another accredited institution
The three required courses for the reading endorsement must have been completed at UGA after July 1, 2000, when the endorsement went into effect. We do not accept transfer credits for the three required reading endorsement courses.
Application Process for Current UGA Students
- Complete the application for admission. It can take up to one month for your application to be reviewed and processed.
- If you have not received an email about your application within a month, please contact the program coordinator.
Application Process for Non-Degree Seeking Applicants
- Apply through the Graduate School. The non-degree code for reading education is 701N.
- When completing your Graduate School application, please include the following documents:
- Current resume/CV that includes your Georgia teacher certificate number
- Statement of purpose
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended
- Upon being admitted to the program, please complete a brief, internal Endorsement Application Form.
Application Deadlines for Non-Degree Seeking Applicants
- November 1 (for spring)
- April 1 (for summer and fall)