Leffler among 10 professors honored by SGA for most impact
Brian Leffler, an instructor in the College of Education's Department of Communication Sciences and Special Education, was one of 10 faculty members recently recognized by the University of Georgia Student Government Association as having made a "significant impact on the education of students."
Leffler and the other nine faculty members were recognized at the SGA's annual Professor Recognition Ceremony, held March 4 at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center and Hotel.
Faculty members, their disciplines, schools and colleges are:
- Keith Dougherty, political science, School of Public and International Affairs;
- Brian Leffler, communication sciences and disorders, College of Education;
- Derrick Lemons, religion, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Douglas Lister, special forces, Army ROTC;
- Henry Schaefer, chemistry, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Janice Simon, art history, Lamar Dodd School of Art, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Jace Weaver, Native American studies, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Kacy Welsh, psychology, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences;
- Zachary Wood, biochemistry and molecular biology, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences; and
- Michael Yoder, engineering, College of Engineering.
The faculty members were selected from 33 nominations submitted by students. From the initial pool of nominations, the students of SGA's academic affairs committee selected the honorees based on numerous criteria, including clear articulation of impact and evidence of dedication to the education of UGA students both in and out of the classroom.
Lesley Rios, SGA director of programming and coordinator for the ceremony, said that recognizing professors who go above and beyond to make an impact on students' lives is a great way to improve the classroom experience for both faculty and students.
"I was happy to see the variety of professors nominated from all parts of campus, and it was exciting to see that some professors were nominated by multiple students," she said.
Rios says that faculty members are especially proud to know that the recognition is based solely on student nominations.
The Student Government Association is a registered student organization within UGA's Division of Student Affairs.
For more information, call 706-542-6396 or see Student Government Association.