Record-breaking number of College of Education alumni named to 2017 UGA 40 Under 40 Class
Nine alumni of the College of Education were recently named to the University of Georgia's 40 Under 40 Class of 2017. This is the highest number of alumni from the College named to the list since the program began in 2011.
Administered by UGA's Alumni Association, the 40 Under 40 list celebrates the personal, professional and philanthropic achievements of UGA graduates who are under the age of 40. This year's class includes alumni from a variety of industries, ranging from education to sports medicine.
"We are excited about this year's 40 Under 40 class," said Meredith Gurley Johnson, executive director of alumni relations. "These young alumni are making a difference in the classroom, boardroom, operating room and everywhere in between."
Out of the nearly 400 alumni nominated, those that received the final honor in the College of Education are:
- Rebecca Filson (BSED '05): Regional vice president of operations, BenchMark Physical Therapy
- Lauren Griffeth (BSA '05, MED '08, PHD '13): Administrative director of agricultural leadership, education and communication, UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Destin Hill (BSED '02): Physician, Arizona Sports Medicine Center
- Dominique Holloman (BS '01, AB '01, MED '04, JD '04): Independent consultant
- Jonas Jennings (BSED '00): Director of player development, UGA Athletic Association; President, JJ 75 Properties LLC
- Matt Koperniak (BMUS '02, MMED '04): Director of bands, Riverwatch Middle School
- Julian Price (BSED '00): Physician/partner, Athens Orthopedic Clinic
- Tim Puetz (PHD '06): Operations manager, National Institutes of Health Clinical Center
- Laura Whitaker (BSED '07, MED '10): Executive director, Extra Special People
The honorees will be recognized during the seventh annual 40 Under 40 Awards Luncheon on Sept. 14 at the Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead. Ernie Johnson, co-host of TNT's "Inside the NBA" and lead announcer for "Major League Baseball" on TBS, will serve as the keynote speaker for the event. Johnson, a 1978 UGA graduate, delivered UGA's 2017 undergraduate Commencement address in May.
"We received hundreds of nominations, and our graduates have made some incredible accomplishments," Johnson added. "It is more difficult every year to narrow the list down to 40, and that is a testament to the caliber of our alumni. We are so proud."