Named in memory of former faculty member Genelle Morain, this award is presented to language and literacy education doctoral students with a distinguished record of departmental teaching.
The committee may divide the $500 minimum cash prize among several winners or not make an award if the candidate pool is not competitive.
This award is open to any full-time LLE doctoral student who:
- Has been nominated by one of the focus areas for nominee distinguished record of teaching within the department
- Has had significant teaching responsibilities for at least two terms in the last 18 months, not counting the semester of nomination
- Has not been a previous awardee
How to Apply
The nomination package includes the following:
- Vitae that includes all teaching activities, name and number of courses taught, number of sections taught, and number of students per section
- Average across all courses on question 9 and question 15 on the student evaluation form
- A short list of representative course evaluation comments
- Information about student teaching supervision, if applicable
- Other evidence of outstanding teaching
- Letter of support from faculty member
The nomination package—one per focus area—should be submitted to the graduate coordinator by March 15. Packages submitted after March 15 will not be considered.
- Number of individual courses and sections taught
- Quality of teaching
- Innovative approaches
- Teaching publications
- Contributions to teaching beyond the classroom
- Leadership in teaching
- Awards and distinctions for teaching