Skip to page content

Looking to renew your teacher certification? Have you never been certified to teach, and need to know where to start? Or, are you studying for a non-teaching degree such as school psychology, school library media, and speech-language pathology and are looking for service certification? We can help you sort out what you need to do.

For specific course requirements for an approved program, contact the appropriate department within the College of Education. The department will determine requirements for entry into the program, the course work required to meet the approved teacher education program, and the procedures for obtaining a professional recommendation. (Note that if you are studying school counseling, school psychology, school library media, and speech/language pathology at the graduate level, you may apply for a service certification.)

Graduate Certificates

Add another level of expertise to your degree with a graduate certificate. These programs give graduates added skills in areas such as TESOL, e-learning design or creativity and innovation, and are taken as a set of courses added on to a degree program. See them all


Endorsements are training for current teachers who want to add expertise in specific areas. The College of Education offers endorsements in areas such as mathematics, reading education, ESOL and gifted. See them all


Our non-degree certification programs are for professionals who want to apply to be certified to teach in Georgia or be a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. Certification programs are a series of courses and practicum experiences that will prepare you for a certification exam. See them all

Applying for Certification

You may find more information on how to submit certification application materials at the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) website. For more information, contact our certification official for the College of Education, Kate Character.

For Georgia Applicants Moving to Another State

A teaching certificate is valid only in the state for which it is issued, and certification and testing requirements are never static. Even the very best book or chart may be out of date as soon as it is published. If you are planning to move to another state, you will need to contact that state's office of certification. When you call or write the state certification office, indicate the type of certificate you are receiving from your current state, which national tests you have taken, and ask for application materials and procedures for obtaining certification in the new state. Another source of information about certification requirements will be the actual districts to which you apply.

For Out-of-State Applicants Moving to Georgia

Applicants seeking reciprocal certification should contact the Georgia Professional Standards Commission directly or by calling 1-800-869-7775.

Know your certifications

Pre-Service Certification

This certification is for students in teacher preparation programs who are applying for field and clinical experience.

Teacher Certification

This certification is for teacher-prep students who have completed their field and clinical experience and are preparing to graduate.

Service Certification

This certification is for students preparing to graduate in a service-related field.

Explore your options